Friday, November 25, 2005
What it is
Sydney is 3 months old today. That's just astonishing.
Astonishing, for the most part, because I've been half-responsible for the care and feeding of this human larva all this time, and she's still alive. Well, as I said, I'm only half responsible.
Astonishing, for the other part, in how wordless being a parent can make me. I realize now that you could speak nonstop for weeks and week, write volumes upon libraries of books, dozens upon hundreds of trilogies of films, and never completely capture what it is to be a Parent.
That never stops us from trying, of course, nor should it. Never mind what Yoda says - faced with the truly impossible, I believe there is nobility in trying.
I love being a dad. I can't imagine being anything else now.
On the set of Ghost Whisperer, I've met several other fathers, and have had lengthy discussions with them. Scott("A" camera)'s oldest boy is in the middle of potty training, and hit a significant milestone the other day. He shared the voicemail with me, and it cracked me up. I tell him how Sydney's really smiling now, really meaning it, and he tells me "Just wait, it gets so much better."
And I wonder, if that's true, how my heart can hold all the love.
Michael (Hair) told me about a special moment he had with his 14-year-old son the other day. Michael always lines up everything he's going to need to take with him in front of the door, so he doesn't forget anything on the way out. He's been struggling with his son for some time now to get him to be more responsible, more organized, help out more (what parent of a 14-year-old hasn't had that discussion?). So the other day, he walks in the house and sees all of his son's things lined up in front of the door, just like his Dad. It was an amazing moment, he said. All that time of trying to impress these things upon him, it felt like it was going nowhere, and then boom, in one magic moment, he sees that he really has been getting through to him.
Makes it all worthwhile.
That's the one thing I really love about being on set, is when, during the downtime, you get to chat with the crew. I love meeting interesting people, and most everyone there is interesting in some way or another.
Wow, what a digression. While I'm here, then, I might as well mention that brining your turkey is the best thing you can do to it. It takes a little effort, but you will be richly rewarded with a moist, flavorful turkey. Do it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment