Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Crying Wolf
It seems to be impossible to get Wolf Brand Chili at any store here in California. There's some sort of Wolf Brand Blacklist going on, or something. The Hormel Mafia has put the lid on that can.
What's a chili lover to do?
Well, it's an open secret that many "store-brand" items are actually made by well-known manufacturers and marketed under various different brands. "Great Value" is Wal-Mart's brand. Ralph's, Albertson's, Vons, they all have theirs, too.
So I took a stab: Could Wal-Mart's "Great Value" chili actually be Wolf Brand Chili, manufactured by Con-Agra foods?
No, it most certainly is not. Con-ASSra foods, maybe. Nasty.
The search continues.
On another note: Restaurant Chili. Over the years we've been here, I've sampled the chili from various restaurants for their suitability. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there are several very tasty chilis in Southern California, each with its own special something.
I list them here, in order of my preference:
1. Fatburger. SPICY. Strong flavor, great for fries. And the recipe seems to vary just slightly from store to store, which is nice. My fave.
2. Pink's. World-famous, this chili is smooth and thick and perfect for chili dogs.
3. Tommy's. Quite honestly, when you get your food from Tommy's, it looks like someone had a horrible bowel accident all over it. This is their chili. But don't let the fecal appearance fool you, this is another smooth, chili-dog chili, similar to Pink's, but blended finer. Also great for fries - sticks right to 'em.
4. Angel's Burgers. Their chili is tasty, but I rarely get it, because the kids who run the place at our mall are so bloody slow that I could go over and cook a pizza myself at Sbarro's and get back before they finish my chili dog. Angels' seems simliar to the old Swift Premium canned chili that used to be around. That was great stuff.
5. Foster's Freeze. Less thick and flavorful than those above, this is still a solid chili-dog/chili-fries chili. Which is what I order when I go there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LLOLing about the diarrhea chili. I remember one time when I was passing through LA on my own and the three of us went to a burger joint, either Fatburger or Tommy's, I can't remember which--it was whichever one you can get chili on anything on the menu--and when our orders of chili fries came up, it did look exactly like someone took a medium-thickness beer shit all over both piles of fries. And I remember looking at you, and both of us were trying not to laugh out loud until we got away from the employees.
But it was damn good chili. Looks about the same going in and coming out, but in between it gets transmuted from shit awesome to awesome shit.
Good times.
Post a Comment